May was another relatively quiet month for the Whitianga Volunteer Fire Brigade with only eight calls for assistance. We responded to three motor vehicle accidents, we assisted St John Ambulance twice and we were called to set up a landing zone for the Westpac Rescue Helicopter.
We have also responded to a gas leak and assisted a disabled person to gain access to their house.
Last week was a sad time for our brigade with the passing of life member, Ted Ramsbotham. Ted played a big part in our brigade. Even in his retired years, he was always actively involved in working bees and fundraising events. You will be greatly missed, Ted.
Winter is now upon us and with that, people have the heater and fireplace going. Remember the golden rule, “Keep it a metre from the heater.” Whether it’s the fire place or electric heater, keep anything flammable at least a metre away.
And when cleaning out the fireplace, put your ashes in a metal container. Ash can stay hot for up to three days.
Stay safe out there,
Whitianga Volunteer Fire Brigade
Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Derek Collier
Pictured is the vintage fire engine that carried the casket of Whitianga Volunteer Fire Brigade life member, Ted Ramsbotham, to St Andrew’s by the Sea Community Church and the Whitianga Wharf during his funeral last week. Read a tribute to Ted’s life on page 33 of this issue of The Informer.